The report includes seven strategic recommendations intended to inform local, state, and federal decisions about flood management policies and financial investments:
1) Conduct regional flood risk assessments to better understand statewide flood risk;The report is available through DWR's website. There is a 45-day public comment period for the draft report.
2) Increase public and policymaker awareness about flood risks to facilitate informed decisions;
3) Increase support for flood emergency preparedness, response and recovery programs to reduce flood impacts;
4) Encourage land use planning practices that reduce the consequences of flooding;
5) Implement flood management from regional, system-wide and statewide perspectives to provide multiple benefits;
6) Increase collaboration among public agencies to improve flood management planning, policies and investments; and
7) Establish sufficient and stable funding mechanisms to reduce flood risk.